PHOENIX — It’s that time of year again when temperatures rise into the triple digits.
The city of Phoenix will kick off summer heat relief efforts on June 1.
Known as the Summer Respite Program, the Phoenix Human Services Department is asking the public to donate specific items that will be distributed to homeless outreach teams, the elderly and people with disabilities.
“The items that we are receiving as far as donations and unopened bottles of water (are) sunscreen, new underwear, white shocks, white tee shirts, lip balm and pre-packaged snack items,” said Christina Blea.
All items that are donated are tax-deductible and can be dropped off at one of the three family service centers Monday to Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Blea said this is a great way for the community to help out.
“We’ve received in the past years over 300,000 bottles of water donated and these are given to individuals who are in the parks and on the streets,” she said.
You can drop off items to one of these centers:
Travis L. Williams, 4732 S. Central Avenue, (602) 534-4732
John F. Long, 3454 N. 51st Avenue, (602) 262-6510
Sunnyslope, 914 W. Hatcher Road, (602) 495-5229
The city is also involved in a program called the Heat Relief Network. Phoenix’s Human Services Department is responsible for educating seniors, the disabled and the homeless about the dangers of extremely hot temperatures and what they can do to protect themselves.
To get more information about the Summer Respite Program and the Heat Relief Network, go to phoenix.gov/humanservices.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths