KACHINA VILLAGE, Ariz. — Some business owners are worried worry that a
wildfire in Oak Creek Canyon will keep customers away from the premier tourist
area over the important holiday weekend.
“We’re hear,” said Beverly Burton from Native Spirits Jewelry Store. “This is our livelihood. We need their participation and we would love to take care of them.”
Despite a forest official recommending travelers avoid Sedona over the Memorial Day holiday, Burton said the town is still reachable via State Route 179.
“It’s not really affecting our traffic, it’s not affecting the smell in the air,” said Beverly Burton from Native Spirits Jewelry Store. “We still have beautiful hiking, we’ve got guided tours– everything is up and running.”
The human-caused Slide Fire started Tuesday and by Thursday night had burned
more than 11 1/2 square miles in and around the scenic recreation zone between
Sedona and Flagstaff.
Firefighters say weather conditions for the next several days look favorable,
with increased humidity and a chance of rain.
The Sedona Chamber of Commerce has been fielding hundreds of inquiries via
telephone and social media from visitors wondering if they should still visit
during the holiday weekend and about the air quality.
Many Sedona business owners also have taken to social media to remind people
the resort town is open for business, but it hasn’t kept some from changing
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them