KACHINA VILLAGE, Ariz. — Some business owners are worried worry that a
wildfire in Oak Creek Canyon will keep customers away from the premier tourist
area over the important holiday weekend.
“We’re hear,” said Beverly Burton from Native Spirits Jewelry Store. “This is our livelihood. We need their participation and we would love to take care of them.”
Despite a forest official recommending travelers avoid Sedona over the Memorial Day holiday, Burton said the town is still reachable via State Route 179.
“It’s not really affecting our traffic, it’s not affecting the smell in the air,” said Beverly Burton from Native Spirits Jewelry Store. “We still have beautiful hiking, we’ve got guided tours– everything is up and running.”
The human-caused Slide Fire started Tuesday and by Thursday night had burned
more than 11 1/2 square miles in and around the scenic recreation zone between
Sedona and Flagstaff.
Firefighters say weather conditions for the next several days look favorable,
with increased humidity and a chance of rain.
The Sedona Chamber of Commerce has been fielding hundreds of inquiries via
telephone and social media from visitors wondering if they should still visit
during the holiday weekend and about the air quality.
Many Sedona business owners also have taken to social media to remind people
the resort town is open for business, but it hasn’t kept some from changing
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development