PHOENIX — Hundreds of students may have been sickened by a norovirus at a Gilbert, Ariz. elementary school.
More than 200 students at Augusta Ranch Elementary were sent home after vomiting this week. More than 80 additional students were called out by their parents. Five adults at the school were also sent home.
One student and one teacher were tested for norovirus.
“They were sent to the Arizona lab for determination and there was a strong feeling that it was norovirus,” said Debbie McCarron with the Gilbert Public Schools Distrcit. “They were able to conclude it was not a food-borne illness.”
Thursday was the final day of the school year.
Norovirus is highly contagious and can be deadly for both infants and the elderly. Symptoms include stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. They typically fade in 48 hours.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas