PHOENIX — Hundreds of students may have been sickened by a norovirus at a Gilbert, Ariz. elementary school.
More than 200 students at Augusta Ranch Elementary were sent home after vomiting this week. More than 80 additional students were called out by their parents. Five adults at the school were also sent home.
One student and one teacher were tested for norovirus.
“They were sent to the Arizona lab for determination and there was a strong feeling that it was norovirus,” said Debbie McCarron with the Gilbert Public Schools Distrcit. “They were able to conclude it was not a food-borne illness.”
Thursday was the final day of the school year.
Norovirus is highly contagious and can be deadly for both infants and the elderly. Symptoms include stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. They typically fade in 48 hours.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick