PHOENIX — Hundreds of students may have been sickened by a norovirus at a Gilbert, Ariz. elementary school.
More than 200 students at Augusta Ranch Elementary were sent home after vomiting this week. More than 80 additional students were called out by their parents. Five adults at the school were also sent home.
One student and one teacher were tested for norovirus.
“They were sent to the Arizona lab for determination and there was a strong feeling that it was norovirus,” said Debbie McCarron with the Gilbert Public Schools Distrcit. “They were able to conclude it was not a food-borne illness.”
Thursday was the final day of the school year.
Norovirus is highly contagious and can be deadly for both infants and the elderly. Symptoms include stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. They typically fade in 48 hours.
KTAR’s Clayton Klapper contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development