Are you preparing your home in the event of a wildfire?
With several fires burning in Arizona right now, including the Slide Fire near Sedona, Allstate has some tips to direct flames away from your home in case one breaks out.
“Clear brush, trim tree branches and make sure branches are at least 6 feet from the ground,” said Chelci Vaughn with Allstate.
She said removing removable fuel sources like dry landscaping, wood piles and decks and creating a defensible zone of 30 feet around your home will dramatically reduce wildfire hazards.
If a wildfire strikes up and evacuations become a possibility, you should make sure you’re prepared for a quick departure.
“It’s so important for you to already have documents such as insurance policies, birth certificates and ID cards,” said Vaughn. “All those important documents should be gathered together ahead of time.”
She also recommends conducting a home inventory of your property: Keep track of model numbers and stores where you bought your items. It’s also a good idea, she said, to contact your insurance agent to determine if your homeowners policy provides for additional living expenses in the event of a mandatory evacuation.
And if it’s determined that you need to leave the home, make sure you develop an evacuation plan that includes at least two exit routes from your neighborhood, Vaughn added.
Click here for more wildfire-related tips.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development