Are you preparing your home in the event of a wildfire?
With several fires burning in Arizona right now, including the Slide Fire near Sedona, Allstate has some tips to direct flames away from your home in case one breaks out.
“Clear brush, trim tree branches and make sure branches are at least 6 feet from the ground,” said Chelci Vaughn with Allstate.
She said removing removable fuel sources like dry landscaping, wood piles and decks and creating a defensible zone of 30 feet around your home will dramatically reduce wildfire hazards.
If a wildfire strikes up and evacuations become a possibility, you should make sure you’re prepared for a quick departure.
“It’s so important for you to already have documents such as insurance policies, birth certificates and ID cards,” said Vaughn. “All those important documents should be gathered together ahead of time.”
She also recommends conducting a home inventory of your property: Keep track of model numbers and stores where you bought your items. It’s also a good idea, she said, to contact your insurance agent to determine if your homeowners policy provides for additional living expenses in the event of a mandatory evacuation.
And if it’s determined that you need to leave the home, make sure you develop an evacuation plan that includes at least two exit routes from your neighborhood, Vaughn added.
Click here for more wildfire-related tips.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night