PHOENIX — Arizona ranks in the middle of the pack for senior health.
The state ranks 23rd best in the United Health Foundation’s rankings for people over the age of 65. That’s down from 18th place last year.
United Healthcare Arizona Medical Director Dr. Robert Beauchamp said a few trouble spots might be to blame for the decline.
“The reasons might relate to a somewhat-increased rate of smoking in seniors, as well as a lower percentage of flu immunizations,” Beauchamp said.
Beauchamp couldn’t pinpoint why more seniors may be smoking.
As for flu shots, he said fewer people may be getting them because there have been fewer news stories about the flu in the media. However, Beauchamp said Arizona seniors are doing better in other areas.
“As a state, we do have a lower prevalence of obesity,” he said. “We’re at 22.5 percent, while in the rest of the nation, the average is 25.8 percent.”
Arizona seniors rank in the bottom third of states for managing their diabetes and the number of times they end up in intensive care. The state ranks No. 2 in the country for the lowest rate of hospital deaths and the use of hospice care.
The survey ranked Minnesota as having the healthiest seniors in the nation. Mississippi finished dead last.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes