PHOENIX — Arizona ranks in the middle of the pack for senior health.
The state ranks 23rd best in the United Health Foundation’s rankings for people over the age of 65. That’s down from 18th place last year.
United Healthcare Arizona Medical Director Dr. Robert Beauchamp said a few trouble spots might be to blame for the decline.
“The reasons might relate to a somewhat-increased rate of smoking in seniors, as well as a lower percentage of flu immunizations,” Beauchamp said.
Beauchamp couldn’t pinpoint why more seniors may be smoking.
As for flu shots, he said fewer people may be getting them because there have been fewer news stories about the flu in the media. However, Beauchamp said Arizona seniors are doing better in other areas.
“As a state, we do have a lower prevalence of obesity,” he said. “We’re at 22.5 percent, while in the rest of the nation, the average is 25.8 percent.”
Arizona seniors rank in the bottom third of states for managing their diabetes and the number of times they end up in intensive care. The state ranks No. 2 in the country for the lowest rate of hospital deaths and the use of hospice care.
The survey ranked Minnesota as having the healthiest seniors in the nation. Mississippi finished dead last.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon