PHOENIX — Arizona ranks in the middle of the pack for senior health.
The state ranks 23rd best in the United Health Foundation’s rankings for people over the age of 65. That’s down from 18th place last year.
United Healthcare Arizona Medical Director Dr. Robert Beauchamp said a few trouble spots might be to blame for the decline.
“The reasons might relate to a somewhat-increased rate of smoking in seniors, as well as a lower percentage of flu immunizations,” Beauchamp said.
Beauchamp couldn’t pinpoint why more seniors may be smoking.
As for flu shots, he said fewer people may be getting them because there have been fewer news stories about the flu in the media. However, Beauchamp said Arizona seniors are doing better in other areas.
“As a state, we do have a lower prevalence of obesity,” he said. “We’re at 22.5 percent, while in the rest of the nation, the average is 25.8 percent.”
Arizona seniors rank in the bottom third of states for managing their diabetes and the number of times they end up in intensive care. The state ranks No. 2 in the country for the lowest rate of hospital deaths and the use of hospice care.
The survey ranked Minnesota as having the healthiest seniors in the nation. Mississippi finished dead last.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths