Fallen firefighters will be remembered during the upcoming Yarnell Fire District Memorial 5K Run/Walk.
It won’t be a typical running event, and participants don’t necessarily need to show up in standard running gear.
Yarnell District firefighter Aileen Casillas said many people will be running in firefighter or wildland attire.
“I have a friend who’s going to be running in full wildland gear,” Casillas said.
She said that proceeds from the event will benefit the Yarnell Fire District and the Wildland Firefighter Foundation.
This is the first running event to honor firefighting crews in Yarnell since 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots died battling the Yarnell Hill Fire nearly a year ago. The memorial run and walk will take place in Yarnell on Saturday, June 7.
Event organizers said they have already seen an overwhelming response, and that registration to run has been extended to the day of the event. They recommend arriving early if you’re going to register on the day of the event.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food