Fallen firefighters will be remembered during the upcoming Yarnell Fire District Memorial 5K Run/Walk.
It won’t be a typical running event, and participants don’t necessarily need to show up in standard running gear.
Yarnell District firefighter Aileen Casillas said many people will be running in firefighter or wildland attire.
“I have a friend who’s going to be running in full wildland gear,” Casillas said.
She said that proceeds from the event will benefit the Yarnell Fire District and the Wildland Firefighter Foundation.
This is the first running event to honor firefighting crews in Yarnell since 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots died battling the Yarnell Hill Fire nearly a year ago. The memorial run and walk will take place in Yarnell on Saturday, June 7.
Event organizers said they have already seen an overwhelming response, and that registration to run has been extended to the day of the event. They recommend arriving early if you’re going to register on the day of the event.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development