PHOENIX — Phoenix police are investigating a possible case of child abuse after a 5-year-old boy died Wednesday.
The boy’s mother allegedly left him and two other children, a 3-year-old and a 4-month-old, in the care of a 16-year-old while she went to work.
The teen told police he became upset with the 5-year-old and pushed him hard to the ground. The child was unconscious and was put in bed.
When the mother returned home around 5 p.m., she thought the boy was asleep. Later, she called him for dinner and found the child had vomited and was unresponsive.
Police were called to Phoenix Children’s Hospital just before 9 p.m., where the boy had been airlifted from another local hospital and was in critical condition.
The 16-year-old has been detailed at the Maricopa County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of suspected child abuse.
Police are still investigating.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development