PHOENIX — Phoenix police are investigating a possible case of child abuse after a 5-year-old boy died Wednesday.
The boy’s mother allegedly left him and two other children, a 3-year-old and a 4-month-old, in the care of a 16-year-old while she went to work.
The teen told police he became upset with the 5-year-old and pushed him hard to the ground. The child was unconscious and was put in bed.
When the mother returned home around 5 p.m., she thought the boy was asleep. Later, she called him for dinner and found the child had vomited and was unresponsive.
Police were called to Phoenix Children’s Hospital just before 9 p.m., where the boy had been airlifted from another local hospital and was in critical condition.
The 16-year-old has been detailed at the Maricopa County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of suspected child abuse.
Police are still investigating.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier