PHOENIX — Phoenix police are investigating a possible case of child abuse after a 5-year-old boy died Wednesday.
The boy’s mother allegedly left him and two other children, a 3-year-old and a 4-month-old, in the care of a 16-year-old while she went to work.
The teen told police he became upset with the 5-year-old and pushed him hard to the ground. The child was unconscious and was put in bed.
When the mother returned home around 5 p.m., she thought the boy was asleep. Later, she called him for dinner and found the child had vomited and was unresponsive.
Police were called to Phoenix Children’s Hospital just before 9 p.m., where the boy had been airlifted from another local hospital and was in critical condition.
The 16-year-old has been detailed at the Maricopa County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of suspected child abuse.
Police are still investigating.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets