PHOENIX — Law enforcement will be out in full force Memorial Day weekend looking for impaired drivers.
The Governor’s Office of Highway Safety is coordinating a statewide effort to crack down on impaired driving with check points and increased patrols on Arizona highways and roads over the holiday, said Director Alberto Gutier.
“Right now, we have over 73 police agencies, including the sheriff’s offices and the highway patrol, working through the whole state,” Gutier said. “We’re talking from Yuma to Pinetop-Lakeside, over to Kingman, etc.”
Between 800 and 1,000 officers will be a part of the DUI enforcement campaign, Gutier said, which begins Friday and ends Monday night.
Gutier said after three wrong-way driving crashes that killed seven people in the Valley last week — all of which involved impaired drivers — it is especially important for heavy DUI enforcement right now.
“Officers are very alert, and I think the public (is) after those three wrong-way crashes,” he said, “especially since all three of those wrong-way crashes happened here in the Valley (and) all were (caused by) impaired drivers.”
The campaign will also include strict enforcement on Arizona lakes and waterways, with patrols keeping an eye out for impaired boaters and lake-goers.
“The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office with Game and Fish and the Park Service, they’re going to be (at) the lakes also,” Gutier said. “The penalties are also severe for someone intoxicated (while operating) a boat.”
Gutier advised people to be prepared by designating sober drivers ahead of time, drinking responsibly and, if needed, calling a cab to get home safely.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.