PHOENIX — Two metro Phoenix cities were among the fastest-growing cities in America, the U.S. Census Bureau said.
In figures released Thursday, Goodyear and the town of Gilbert ranked Nos. 6 and 12, while Texas dominated the top 15 fastest growers with seven cities.
Goodyear, in the West Valley, had a 4.8 percent increase, for a 2013 population of 72,864. The census measured from July 1, 2012 to July 1, 2013.
Gilbert, in the East Valley, climbed 4 percent, for 229,972 residents.
Overall, the West and South had the most cities in the top 15. San Marcos, Texas, grew the most at 8 percent.
In most populous cities, Phoenix was fifth
in population with 1,513,367. The state’s capital also was fifth among cities with the largest numeric increase, gaining 24,843.
New York was the most-populated city with 8,405,837.
More than a dozen cities in the nation hit the 50,000-population mark, including Casa Grande.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development