PHOENIX — Two metro Phoenix cities were among the fastest-growing cities in America, the U.S. Census Bureau said.
In figures released Thursday, Goodyear and the town of Gilbert ranked Nos. 6 and 12, while Texas dominated the top 15 fastest growers with seven cities.
Goodyear, in the West Valley, had a 4.8 percent increase, for a 2013 population of 72,864. The census measured from July 1, 2012 to July 1, 2013.
Gilbert, in the East Valley, climbed 4 percent, for 229,972 residents.
Overall, the West and South had the most cities in the top 15. San Marcos, Texas, grew the most at 8 percent.
In most populous cities, Phoenix was fifth
in population with 1,513,367. The state’s capital also was fifth among cities with the largest numeric increase, gaining 24,843.
New York was the most-populated city with 8,405,837.
More than a dozen cities in the nation hit the 50,000-population mark, including Casa Grande.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy