PHOENIX — Two metro Phoenix cities were among the fastest-growing cities in America, the U.S. Census Bureau said.
In figures released Thursday, Goodyear and the town of Gilbert ranked Nos. 6 and 12, while Texas dominated the top 15 fastest growers with seven cities.
Goodyear, in the West Valley, had a 4.8 percent increase, for a 2013 population of 72,864. The census measured from July 1, 2012 to July 1, 2013.
Gilbert, in the East Valley, climbed 4 percent, for 229,972 residents.
Overall, the West and South had the most cities in the top 15. San Marcos, Texas, grew the most at 8 percent.
In most populous cities, Phoenix was fifth
in population with 1,513,367. The state’s capital also was fifth among cities with the largest numeric increase, gaining 24,843.
New York was the most-populated city with 8,405,837.
More than a dozen cities in the nation hit the 50,000-population mark, including Casa Grande.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier