PHOENIX — Two metro Phoenix cities were among the fastest-growing cities in America, the U.S. Census Bureau said.
In figures released Thursday, Goodyear and the town of Gilbert ranked Nos. 6 and 12, while Texas dominated the top 15 fastest growers with seven cities.
Goodyear, in the West Valley, had a 4.8 percent increase, for a 2013 population of 72,864. The census measured from July 1, 2012 to July 1, 2013.
Gilbert, in the East Valley, climbed 4 percent, for 229,972 residents.
Overall, the West and South had the most cities in the top 15. San Marcos, Texas, grew the most at 8 percent.
In most populous cities, Phoenix was fifth
in population with 1,513,367. The state’s capital also was fifth among cities with the largest numeric increase, gaining 24,843.
New York was the most-populated city with 8,405,837.
More than a dozen cities in the nation hit the 50,000-population mark, including Casa Grande.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona