PHOENIX — There are no closures scheduled for any highway in Arizona over Memorial Day weekend, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
The agency said drivers should plan for busy highways on Friday, especially on Interstate 17 and State Route 87, both of which lead to northern Arizona. High traffic is also expected on Interstate 10 and Interstate 8, the main routes between Arizona and California.
Drivers should also plan to leave early and be patient.
ADOT also urged drivers to avoid pulling over in areas with high grass, as a single spark could ignite a wildfire.
On Wednesday, a Forest Service official said travelers should avoid Sedona over the weekend because of the Slide Fire, which has exploded to more than 4,500 acres. State Route 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona was closed as a result of the fire.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life