PHOENIX — There are no closures scheduled for any highway in Arizona over Memorial Day weekend, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
The agency said drivers should plan for busy highways on Friday, especially on Interstate 17 and State Route 87, both of which lead to northern Arizona. High traffic is also expected on Interstate 10 and Interstate 8, the main routes between Arizona and California.
Drivers should also plan to leave early and be patient.
ADOT also urged drivers to avoid pulling over in areas with high grass, as a single spark could ignite a wildfire.
On Wednesday, a Forest Service official said travelers should avoid Sedona over the weekend because of the Slide Fire, which has exploded to more than 4,500 acres. State Route 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona was closed as a result of the fire.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets