PHOENIX — There are no closures scheduled for any highway in Arizona over Memorial Day weekend, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
The agency said drivers should plan for busy highways on Friday, especially on Interstate 17 and State Route 87, both of which lead to northern Arizona. High traffic is also expected on Interstate 10 and Interstate 8, the main routes between Arizona and California.
Drivers should also plan to leave early and be patient.
ADOT also urged drivers to avoid pulling over in areas with high grass, as a single spark could ignite a wildfire.
On Wednesday, a Forest Service official said travelers should avoid Sedona over the weekend because of the Slide Fire, which has exploded to more than 4,500 acres. State Route 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona was closed as a result of the fire.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments