PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer has called for a special session in the Legislature to improve Arizona’s embattled child welfare agency.
The session will begin Tuesday. Legislators will be asked to approve a measure to create the Department of Child Safety, a replacement for the dissolved Child Protective Services. Brewer called CPS “broken” after it was discovered thousands of reports of child abuse went uninvestigated.
“We all agree our current system has been broken for decades, and we must not wait any longer to properly repair it,” Brewer said in a release. “We need to act now — our children cannot wait.”
Brewer originally said she would call the session in late April after at least five child welfare supervisors were fired following a four-month investigation.
In a statement, Brewer said the safety of Arizona children is one of her most important priorities and an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. The report from the Arizona Department of Public Safety increased the urgency even more.
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development