PHOENIX — A power outage of nearly an hour at Sky Harbor Airport forced the airport to use backup generators Thursday morning.
The outage affected Terminal Four’s D concourse and 32nd to 40th streets and Washington Street to Sky Harbor Boulevard.
Utility company Arizona Public Service originally did not know how long the power would be out nor what caused it, but gates were operating normally by around 11 a.m.
The outage caused dozen of Southwest Airlines flight delays.
One traveler tweeted there was smoke in the building.
Partial power outage in D concourse of Terminal 4. Backup power is operating. Use A or C Checkpoint as alternative. APS on the way.
— PHX Sky Harbor (@PHXSkyHarbor) May 22, 2014
— Abby Dugan (@abbydugan) May 22, 2014
During the outage, passengers were screened at three Terminal 4 security checkpoints not affected by the outage.
Meanwhile, stairs were used to take passengers off some flights when jet bridges wouldn’t work during the outage. Those passengers were then escorted into the terminal.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier