PHOENIX — If you plan on heading to the Sedona area this weekend, you may want to make alternate plans.
“We don’t anticipate that area or (U.S. Route) 89A opening up for the long holiday weekend,” said Brady Smith, Coconino County Forest public affairs officer. “We would hope people would steer clear of that area. There’s just going to be a lot of smoke in Flagstaff and a lot of smoke in that area.”
The Slide Fire, which ignited Tuesday afternoon near Sedona, Ariz., has spread rapidly due to strong winds. By noon Wednesday, the fire had already reached 4,500 acres with zero percent containment.
“The winds aren’t supposed to really die down too much until probably late, late [Thursday],” Smith explained. “I know we’re expecting a lower pressure system to come in later in the evening and then set up Friday and Saturday. That will help us out.”
Triple-A Arizona offered up some tips for the thousands of Arizonans projected to drive to their Memorial Day weekend destination:
• Continue to monitor the situation closely.
• If you have plans to visit the area, check with your hotel or campground to see how guests are being advised.
• Be aware of cancellation policies. Most hotels and resorts may be flexible with cancellation policies in events like this.
• If you do plan to go anyway, be aware of road closures. Highway 89A is currently closed between Sedona and Flagstaff. AZ 5-1-1 provides the most current information.
If the Slide Fire ruins your plans, Triple-A Arizona’s Michelle Donati has some Plan B destinations in mind.
“Jerome, Pine, Strawberry, Payson, Greer — all are great alternatives,” she said.
She also recommended staying even closer to home.
“We’ve seen a number of Valley resorts start unloading their ‘staycation’ specials for those who live in Arizona, and these are some of the nicest resorts in the country,” Donati added.
Of the more than 718,000 Arizonans expected to travel over Memorial Day weekend, Triple-A had projected that 87 percent will drive.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick