PHOENIX — If you plan on heading to the Sedona area this weekend, you may want to make alternate plans.
“We don’t anticipate that area or (U.S. Route) 89A opening up for the long holiday weekend,” said Brady Smith, Coconino County Forest public affairs officer. “We would hope people would steer clear of that area. There’s just going to be a lot of smoke in Flagstaff and a lot of smoke in that area.”
The Slide Fire, which ignited Tuesday afternoon near Sedona, Ariz., has spread rapidly due to strong winds. By noon Wednesday, the fire had already reached 4,500 acres with zero percent containment.
“The winds aren’t supposed to really die down too much until probably late, late [Thursday],” Smith explained. “I know we’re expecting a lower pressure system to come in later in the evening and then set up Friday and Saturday. That will help us out.”
Triple-A Arizona offered up some tips for the thousands of Arizonans projected to drive to their Memorial Day weekend destination:
• Continue to monitor the situation closely.
• If you have plans to visit the area, check with your hotel or campground to see how guests are being advised.
• Be aware of cancellation policies. Most hotels and resorts may be flexible with cancellation policies in events like this.
• If you do plan to go anyway, be aware of road closures. Highway 89A is currently closed between Sedona and Flagstaff. AZ 5-1-1 provides the most current information.
If the Slide Fire ruins your plans, Triple-A Arizona’s Michelle Donati has some Plan B destinations in mind.
“Jerome, Pine, Strawberry, Payson, Greer — all are great alternatives,” she said.
She also recommended staying even closer to home.
“We’ve seen a number of Valley resorts start unloading their ‘staycation’ specials for those who live in Arizona, and these are some of the nicest resorts in the country,” Donati added.
Of the more than 718,000 Arizonans expected to travel over Memorial Day weekend, Triple-A had projected that 87 percent will drive.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America