PHOENIX — After looking at data over the last few years, researchers at the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center (SARRC) noticed that Spanish-speaking families weren’t doing as well.
“They were performing significantly worse than our English speaking parents, and also their children weren’t showing as much in responsivity to the treatments,” said SARRC’s Dr. Nicole Matthews.
As part of their Hispanic Outreach Program, SARRC started hiring more bilingual clinicians so they could offer a Spanish program that more closely approximates the English program, Matthews said.
“Now in our second Jump Start Program for Spanish speaking families, with these improvements we’ve made, they [Spanish language parents] are no longer performing significantly different from our English parents,” she said.
The Jump Start Program is an education program for parents who have recently received an autism diagnosis.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns