PHOENIX — After looking at data over the last few years, researchers at the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center (SARRC) noticed that Spanish-speaking families weren’t doing as well.
“They were performing significantly worse than our English speaking parents, and also their children weren’t showing as much in responsivity to the treatments,” said SARRC’s Dr. Nicole Matthews.
As part of their Hispanic Outreach Program, SARRC started hiring more bilingual clinicians so they could offer a Spanish program that more closely approximates the English program, Matthews said.
“Now in our second Jump Start Program for Spanish speaking families, with these improvements we’ve made, they [Spanish language parents] are no longer performing significantly different from our English parents,” she said.
The Jump Start Program is an education program for parents who have recently received an autism diagnosis.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development