PHOENIX — After losing her baby, a husband, her father, her home and her job, a Scottsdale mom has found a new life as a grief recovery counselor.
“I got into grief recovery reluctantly, like most people do,” said Claire McCarthy, a certified grief recovery specialist.
About six years ago, McCarthy’s daughter died unexpectedly. Four months later, her husband of 10 years left her, and then her father died.
“And then I went through financial situations, lost friendships and all of those things that go along with sort of trying to navigate life after significant loss,” she said.
Now six years later, she has bounced back and found her calling as a grief recovery counselor. The Grief Recovery Method offers a step-by-step process to healing from loss.
“[I’m] really working with folks to help them lead better, healthier, happier lives after loss,” McCarthy said. “Recovery sometimes gets a bad rap because it gives that connotation that there is just this ‘completeness’… you put it aside, you never deal with it, you never have worry about it again.”
This ‘completeness’ is actually just a way to feel a little better and to work through it, she said.
The Grief Recovery Program addresses death and divorce, as well as 40 other significant emotional losses.
Upcoming Grief Recovery Method programs will be held at Kierland in North Scottsdale in June:
The Grief Recovery Method Outreach Program: 8-week summer session for adults. Starting June 2 at 6:30 p.m.
When Children Grieve: 6-week summer session teaching adults how to help children dealing with grief. Starting June 5 at 6:30 p.m.
McCarthy also offers individualized counseling through a one-on-one 7-week course.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food