PHOENIX — After losing her baby, a husband, her father, her home and her job, a Scottsdale mom has found a new life as a grief recovery counselor.
“I got into grief recovery reluctantly, like most people do,” said Claire McCarthy, a certified grief recovery specialist.
About six years ago, McCarthy’s daughter died unexpectedly. Four months later, her husband of 10 years left her, and then her father died.
“And then I went through financial situations, lost friendships and all of those things that go along with sort of trying to navigate life after significant loss,” she said.
Now six years later, she has bounced back and found her calling as a grief recovery counselor. The Grief Recovery Method offers a step-by-step process to healing from loss.
“[I’m] really working with folks to help them lead better, healthier, happier lives after loss,” McCarthy said. “Recovery sometimes gets a bad rap because it gives that connotation that there is just this ‘completeness’… you put it aside, you never deal with it, you never have worry about it again.”
This ‘completeness’ is actually just a way to feel a little better and to work through it, she said.
The Grief Recovery Program addresses death and divorce, as well as 40 other significant emotional losses.
Upcoming Grief Recovery Method programs will be held at Kierland in North Scottsdale in June:
The Grief Recovery Method Outreach Program: 8-week summer session for adults. Starting June 2 at 6:30 p.m.
When Children Grieve: 6-week summer session teaching adults how to help children dealing with grief. Starting June 5 at 6:30 p.m.
McCarthy also offers individualized counseling through a one-on-one 7-week course.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development