PHOENIX — After losing her baby, a husband, her father, her home and her job, a Scottsdale mom has found a new life as a grief recovery counselor.
“I got into grief recovery reluctantly, like most people do,” said Claire McCarthy, a certified grief recovery specialist.
About six years ago, McCarthy’s daughter died unexpectedly. Four months later, her husband of 10 years left her, and then her father died.
“And then I went through financial situations, lost friendships and all of those things that go along with sort of trying to navigate life after significant loss,” she said.
Now six years later, she has bounced back and found her calling as a grief recovery counselor. The Grief Recovery Method offers a step-by-step process to healing from loss.
“[I’m] really working with folks to help them lead better, healthier, happier lives after loss,” McCarthy said. “Recovery sometimes gets a bad rap because it gives that connotation that there is just this ‘completeness’… you put it aside, you never deal with it, you never have worry about it again.”
This ‘completeness’ is actually just a way to feel a little better and to work through it, she said.
The Grief Recovery Program addresses death and divorce, as well as 40 other significant emotional losses.
Upcoming Grief Recovery Method programs will be held at Kierland in North Scottsdale in June:
The Grief Recovery Method Outreach Program: 8-week summer session for adults. Starting June 2 at 6:30 p.m.
When Children Grieve: 6-week summer session teaching adults how to help children dealing with grief. Starting June 5 at 6:30 p.m.
McCarthy also offers individualized counseling through a one-on-one 7-week course.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.