PHOENIX — It’s tough to walk in the Valley.
The combined cities of Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale rank ninth in the Smart Growth America list of worst cities for pedestrians.
The survey’s Pedestrian Danger Index reported that 840 pedestrians died in accidents in the three Valley cities from 2003 to 2012. While only 1.6 percent of people who live in the area get around on foot, there were 1.86 pedestrian deaths per 100,000 people from 2008 to 2012.
There was no information on why Phoenix ranked so high in the study, which is supported by the AARP. C.J. Faygas, spokesperson for the Arizona AARP, explained how researchers arrived at their results.
“They base it on the share of local commuters who are walking to work, for instance, and compare it to the best available measure of how many people are likely to be out walking each and every day,” Faygas said. “Then they compare it to the most recent five years of data on pedestrian fatalities.”
Four Florida cities — Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville and Miami — occupy the top four spots as the worst cities on the list. Boston was the safest. While 5.3 percent of the people there walk to get around, the annual pedestrian deaths were 0.99 per 100,000 from 2008 to 2012.
Faygas said that there are several things that cities can do to make things safer for pedestrians. “(They can do that by) adding sidewalks and bicycle lanes, shortening crossing distances from one side of the street to the other and improving the crosswalks and making them more walking safe,” said Faygas.
You can check out the survey results at SmartGrowthAmerica.org.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development