A teenager accused of posting an online threat to students of a Phoenix-area high school has been arrested, authorities said.
Police in Chandler said the teen posted a clip art picture of a handgun on the social
media app Snapchat on Sunday. The text read, “If you go to Hamilton. Just dont
(sic) come 2morrow (sic).”
The Arizona minor was booked that night. Police said the suspect didn’t pose a real threat, but there would be a larger-than-usual law enforcement presence in and round the school on Arizona Avenue near Queen Creek Road on Monday.
Classes began at their regularly scheduled time.
“People that think this is funny or make a joke of it … we will investigate … and prosecute,” Chandler Police Sgt. Joe Favazzo said.
The teen’s ominous warning came a week after threats were made against a Chandler middle school.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Arizona DCS head responds to claims of failed foster care protections
- Hearing called off for Phoenix-area man accused in 9 shooting deaths
- Analysis suggests Phoenix needs more firefighters, would cost $30M to hire
- Truck hit by GOP train was on tracks after warning
- Arizona resolution that would have allowed teen legislators fails to pass