A teenager accused of posting an online threat to students of a Phoenix-area high school has been arrested, authorities said.
Police in Chandler said the teen posted a clip art picture of a handgun on the social
media app Snapchat on Sunday. The text read, “If you go to Hamilton. Just dont
(sic) come 2morrow (sic).”
The Arizona minor was booked that night. Police said the suspect didn’t pose a real threat, but there would be a larger-than-usual law enforcement presence in and round the school on Arizona Avenue near Queen Creek Road on Monday.
Classes began at their regularly scheduled time.
“People that think this is funny or make a joke of it … we will investigate … and prosecute,” Chandler Police Sgt. Joe Favazzo said.
The teen’s ominous warning came a week after threats were made against a Chandler middle school.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Arizona lawmaker accused of endangering drought plan
- Woman says she pulled daughter out of Hacienda after sex assault
- Ride share company Lyft debuts electric scooters in East Valley cities
- Legislation fixes problems with Arizona opioid measure
- Mark Kelly raises $1.1M in 48 hours after launching Senate campaign