PHOENIX — A Valley church is asking for donations to help people in Eastern Europe whose communities have been hit by devastating floods.
Thousands upon thousands of people have been forced from their homes and dozens of people were found dead after epic floods devastated the Balkan region. Entire villages remain underwater and rescue efforts are hindered by thousands of dislodged land mines first placed in the ground during the Bosnian civil war.
“I’m from a village about 100 miles south of Belgrade,” said Father Dragomir Tuba of Saint Sava Orthodox Church in Phoenix. “The area was hit, there’s flooding in my hometown, not as bad as other towns.”
Tuba is calling upon the kindness of the Valley to help people in his home country.
“It is our duty to for each one of us to help our fellow man, anywhere in the world,” he said.
Currently, religious leaders of the Balkan community — made up of Serbians, Bosnians and Croatians — are reaching out for the community’s help. They have scheduled the following events to collect aid:
Monetary donations will be accepted at Saint Sava Orthodox Church in Phoenix every day from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m.
Monetary donations and supplies will be accepted at the Islamic Center in Phoenix on Friday from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. through May 27th.
To learn more, go to the group’s Facebook page.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them