PHOENIX — A Valley church is asking for donations to help people in Eastern Europe whose communities have been hit by devastating floods.
Thousands upon thousands of people have been forced from their homes and dozens of people were found dead after epic floods devastated the Balkan region. Entire villages remain underwater and rescue efforts are hindered by thousands of dislodged land mines first placed in the ground during the Bosnian civil war.
“I’m from a village about 100 miles south of Belgrade,” said Father Dragomir Tuba of Saint Sava Orthodox Church in Phoenix. “The area was hit, there’s flooding in my hometown, not as bad as other towns.”
Tuba is calling upon the kindness of the Valley to help people in his home country.
“It is our duty to for each one of us to help our fellow man, anywhere in the world,” he said.
Currently, religious leaders of the Balkan community — made up of Serbians, Bosnians and Croatians — are reaching out for the community’s help. They have scheduled the following events to collect aid:
Monetary donations will be accepted at Saint Sava Orthodox Church in Phoenix every day from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m.
Monetary donations and supplies will be accepted at the Islamic Center in Phoenix on Friday from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. through May 27th.
To learn more, go to the group’s Facebook page.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier