PHOENIX — A Valley church is asking for donations to help people in Eastern Europe whose communities have been hit by devastating floods.
Thousands upon thousands of people have been forced from their homes and dozens of people were found dead after epic floods devastated the Balkan region. Entire villages remain underwater and rescue efforts are hindered by thousands of dislodged land mines first placed in the ground during the Bosnian civil war.
“I’m from a village about 100 miles south of Belgrade,” said Father Dragomir Tuba of Saint Sava Orthodox Church in Phoenix. “The area was hit, there’s flooding in my hometown, not as bad as other towns.”
Tuba is calling upon the kindness of the Valley to help people in his home country.
“It is our duty to for each one of us to help our fellow man, anywhere in the world,” he said.
Currently, religious leaders of the Balkan community — made up of Serbians, Bosnians and Croatians — are reaching out for the community’s help. They have scheduled the following events to collect aid:
Monetary donations will be accepted at Saint Sava Orthodox Church in Phoenix every day from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m.
Monetary donations and supplies will be accepted at the Islamic Center in Phoenix on Friday from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. through May 27th.
To learn more, go to the group’s Facebook page.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments