PHOENIX — A Valley church is asking for donations to help people in Eastern Europe whose communities have been hit by devastating floods.
Thousands upon thousands of people have been forced from their homes and dozens of people were found dead after epic floods devastated the Balkan region. Entire villages remain underwater and rescue efforts are hindered by thousands of dislodged land mines first placed in the ground during the Bosnian civil war.
“I’m from a village about 100 miles south of Belgrade,” said Father Dragomir Tuba of Saint Sava Orthodox Church in Phoenix. “The area was hit, there’s flooding in my hometown, not as bad as other towns.”
Tuba is calling upon the kindness of the Valley to help people in his home country.
“It is our duty to for each one of us to help our fellow man, anywhere in the world,” he said.
Currently, religious leaders of the Balkan community — made up of Serbians, Bosnians and Croatians — are reaching out for the community’s help. They have scheduled the following events to collect aid:
Monetary donations will be accepted at Saint Sava Orthodox Church in Phoenix every day from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m.
Monetary donations and supplies will be accepted at the Islamic Center in Phoenix on Friday from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. through May 27th.
To learn more, go to the group’s Facebook page.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night