PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors has unanimously approved a fiscal year 2015 budget that is $8.5 million less than 2014.
Over half of the $2.2 billion budget will go for law enforcement, $1 million of which will be used to pay for a court-ordered monitor to the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office. The monitor was appointed because of a federal civil rights lawsuit against the office.
Supervisors Chairman Denny Barney said most of the rest money will go toward other areas of law enforcement, including the county attorney, public defense services and courts.
“We’re making sure that we can maintain the right level of resources in those criminal areas,” Barney said.
The money for law enforcement includes raises for sheriff’s deputies and probation officers. Three new court divisions will be added.
Barney said that the budget reductions were made possible by changes in the way the county handles its technology.
“Rather than trying to do that in-house, we’re outsourcing it the way large corporations do,” Barney said. “That gives us better security and better efficiency.”
Barney said that no jobs were lost because of the cuts.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas