PHOENIX — People aiming to purchase a median-priced home in the Phoenix metro area need to make slightly more than $40,000 annually, a website said.
“In Phoenix, to buy a median-priced home during the first quarter according to the Realtors, you’ll need $41,309 in salary,” said HSH.com Vice President Keith Gumbinger.
The median price for a home in the Valley is $194,300. Arizona falls nearly in the middle of the pack when it comes to the cost of buying a median-priced home in a metro area.
The website said there has been less than a 1 percent increase in home prices this quarter compared to the last, but prices have gone up 15 percent over last year.
“This is great news for home sellers, not as great for homebuyers,” said Gumbinger.
To calculate the figure, HSH.com used the National Association of Realtors’ first-quarter data for median home prices and HSH.com’s first-quarter average interest rate for 30-year, fixed-rate mortgages, to determine how much of a homeowner’s salary it would take to afford the base cost of owning a home.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever