PHOENIX — People aiming to purchase a median-priced home in the Phoenix metro area need to make slightly more than $40,000 annually, a website said.
“In Phoenix, to buy a median-priced home during the first quarter according to the Realtors, you’ll need $41,309 in salary,” said HSH.com Vice President Keith Gumbinger.
The median price for a home in the Valley is $194,300. Arizona falls nearly in the middle of the pack when it comes to the cost of buying a median-priced home in a metro area.
The website said there has been less than a 1 percent increase in home prices this quarter compared to the last, but prices have gone up 15 percent over last year.
“This is great news for home sellers, not as great for homebuyers,” said Gumbinger.
To calculate the figure, HSH.com used the National Association of Realtors’ first-quarter data for median home prices and HSH.com’s first-quarter average interest rate for 30-year, fixed-rate mortgages, to determine how much of a homeowner’s salary it would take to afford the base cost of owning a home.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain