The lights dim for good Tuesday night at Arizona State University’s Packard Stadium.
After 40 years of use by ASU baseball, the stadium will be demolished. Future ASU Baseball teams will call Phoenix Municipal Stadium their new home.
ASU Baseball legend Floyd Bannister sat in the dugout at Packard Stadium on opening day in 1974. It was the first game ever played at the field.
Bannister recalled fond memories playing at Packard, “The electricity, and the noise, and just the competition; It was incredible. It was so much fun.”
On Tuesday night, Bannister sat in the stands to say goodbye.
“I feel very fortunate to have that opportunity and sad to see it go but I’m sure glad I can cherish a lot of memories.”
Bannister’s name and retired number hang in the outfield of Packard Stadium.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy