The lights dim for good Tuesday night at Arizona State University’s Packard Stadium.
After 40 years of use by ASU baseball, the stadium will be demolished. Future ASU Baseball teams will call Phoenix Municipal Stadium their new home.
ASU Baseball legend Floyd Bannister sat in the dugout at Packard Stadium on opening day in 1974. It was the first game ever played at the field.
Bannister recalled fond memories playing at Packard, “The electricity, and the noise, and just the competition; It was incredible. It was so much fun.”
On Tuesday night, Bannister sat in the stands to say goodbye.
“I feel very fortunate to have that opportunity and sad to see it go but I’m sure glad I can cherish a lot of memories.”
Bannister’s name and retired number hang in the outfield of Packard Stadium.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development