Sam Schmid made headlines worldwide when he came out of a week-long coma that had him near brain death in 2011.
With the wiggle of two fingers the night after discussions of taking the then-21-year-old off of life support, Schmid took the first step in his journey to medical miracle.
Having completed years of grueling rehabilitation therapies since that day, the former University of Arizona student is bound to return to his hometown to complete school and begin work. Schmid, 23, was recovering at Barrow Neurological Center, where he was airlifted after the fateful car accident which placed him in such a condition in Tucson in 2011.
“It’s taken a great medical team as well as hard work and dedication to make the type of recovery I’ve made,” says Schmid. “Not only did I learn to walk and talk again but I’ve learned how to reintegrate myself back into the community and to be successful.”
Schmid may be grateful to the medical staff which has assisted his rehabilitation over the years, but he stops short of labeling himself just a favored anomaly.
“It’s not that I was lucky to have this remarkable recovery,” he says. “It’s that I worked for this remarkable recovery.”
He wants to inspire others to put in such effort in their own recoveries and battles, rather than waiting for special circumstances.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them