Sam Schmid made headlines worldwide when he came out of a week-long coma that had him near brain death in 2011.
With the wiggle of two fingers the night after discussions of taking the then-21-year-old off of life support, Schmid took the first step in his journey to medical miracle.
Having completed years of grueling rehabilitation therapies since that day, the former University of Arizona student is bound to return to his hometown to complete school and begin work. Schmid, 23, was recovering at Barrow Neurological Center, where he was airlifted after the fateful car accident which placed him in such a condition in Tucson in 2011.
“It’s taken a great medical team as well as hard work and dedication to make the type of recovery I’ve made,” says Schmid. “Not only did I learn to walk and talk again but I’ve learned how to reintegrate myself back into the community and to be successful.”
Schmid may be grateful to the medical staff which has assisted his rehabilitation over the years, but he stops short of labeling himself just a favored anomaly.
“It’s not that I was lucky to have this remarkable recovery,” he says. “It’s that I worked for this remarkable recovery.”
He wants to inspire others to put in such effort in their own recoveries and battles, rather than waiting for special circumstances.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night