PHOENIX — A Phoenix Police officer who was killed in the line of duty one year ago was honored on Tuesday morning.
The celebration of the life of Officer Daryl Raetz was held near the intersection where he was hit and killed by an SUV while working a traffic stop in 2013.
A historic marker was unveiled at 51st Avenue and Cambridge in Phoenix while his widow, Stephanie Raetz, looked on.
“I’m proud of him,” she said of her late husband. “All of these people, all of these officers are here for him.”
The young mother is now raising the couple’s daughter alone.
“I want her to know her daddy was fearless,” she said. “Always a hero. He served two tours in Iraq and she has videos of him there so she’ll never forget what he did for this country, this city, the department and for his family.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life