PHOENIX — A Phoenix Police officer who was killed in the line of duty one year ago was honored on Tuesday morning.
The celebration of the life of Officer Daryl Raetz was held near the intersection where he was hit and killed by an SUV while working a traffic stop in 2013.
A historic marker was unveiled at 51st Avenue and Cambridge in Phoenix while his widow, Stephanie Raetz, looked on.
“I’m proud of him,” she said of her late husband. “All of these people, all of these officers are here for him.”
The young mother is now raising the couple’s daughter alone.
“I want her to know her daddy was fearless,” she said. “Always a hero. He served two tours in Iraq and she has videos of him there so she’ll never forget what he did for this country, this city, the department and for his family.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas