PHOENIX — The University of Arizona is attempting to develop an app designed to both help women quit smoking and prevent weight gain when they do.
On average, women gain between five and 10 pounds when they quit smoking.
“We want to normalize the fact that they might gain a little weight, but overall its much more important to quit smoking, eat well and get more physical exercise than gaining a few extra pounds,” said Dr. Judith Gordon.
The National Cancer Society is funding the two-year study to test and develop the mobile phone application for Android using the assistance of volunteers — initially from the Tucson area — followed by female volunteers from across the United States.
The app uses guided-imagery messages designed to boost positive body image, and persuade a woman that she “can and will be stronger, healthier and happier by eating well, being physically active and not smoking.” The volunteers will listen to these pre-recorded “scripts” every day and track their moods and cravings. They will be able to track their progress on the app as well.
The results of the study will be used to “apply for funding for a larger National Cancer Institute study, in which women will be assigned randomly to either the UA-designed guided-imagery app or another app, made to help with smoking-cessation only.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier