PHOENIX — Some of Arizona’s most senior veterans received a special visit Tuesday from some of their fellow service men and women who are students at Grand Canyon University.
About 50 students from the school, comprised mostly of former or active military members, came to the Arizona State Veterans Home to play cards, hear stories, sing hymns and spend time with the senior home residents.
Bart Burkert, executive vice president at GCU and a former solider in the Army Reserve, said it’s a great sign of respect to those senior’s sacrifices and dedications.
“What the veterans have done for us, and I say that for everyone, is extremely important, so we just want to make their lives for a few hours a little bit better,” he said.
Burkert said the students have been coming to the Arizona State Veterans Home to meet with the seniors for several years.
“I think they’re excited to see us and more importantly, we’re excited to see them every year,” he said.
Amid recent allegations of neglect and failed care at the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Hospital, Burkert said the visits can also help the residents relax and take their mind of their health issues.
“If we can take a few hours out of their day to forget about the day to day struggles…we win,” said Burkert.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon