PHOENIX — Some of Arizona’s most senior veterans received a special visit Tuesday from some of their fellow service men and women who are students at Grand Canyon University.
About 50 students from the school, comprised mostly of former or active military members, came to the Arizona State Veterans Home to play cards, hear stories, sing hymns and spend time with the senior home residents.
Bart Burkert, executive vice president at GCU and a former solider in the Army Reserve, said it’s a great sign of respect to those senior’s sacrifices and dedications.
“What the veterans have done for us, and I say that for everyone, is extremely important, so we just want to make their lives for a few hours a little bit better,” he said.
Burkert said the students have been coming to the Arizona State Veterans Home to meet with the seniors for several years.
“I think they’re excited to see us and more importantly, we’re excited to see them every year,” he said.
Amid recent allegations of neglect and failed care at the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Hospital, Burkert said the visits can also help the residents relax and take their mind of their health issues.
“If we can take a few hours out of their day to forget about the day to day struggles…we win,” said Burkert.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains