PHOENIX — Some of Arizona’s most senior veterans received a special visit Tuesday from some of their fellow service men and women who are students at Grand Canyon University.
About 50 students from the school, comprised mostly of former or active military members, came to the Arizona State Veterans Home to play cards, hear stories, sing hymns and spend time with the senior home residents.
Bart Burkert, executive vice president at GCU and a former solider in the Army Reserve, said it’s a great sign of respect to those senior’s sacrifices and dedications.
“What the veterans have done for us, and I say that for everyone, is extremely important, so we just want to make their lives for a few hours a little bit better,” he said.
Burkert said the students have been coming to the Arizona State Veterans Home to meet with the seniors for several years.
“I think they’re excited to see us and more importantly, we’re excited to see them every year,” he said.
Amid recent allegations of neglect and failed care at the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Hospital, Burkert said the visits can also help the residents relax and take their mind of their health issues.
“If we can take a few hours out of their day to forget about the day to day struggles…we win,” said Burkert.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier