A yearbook is a large part of the high school experience.
Most people save theirs to look back on as they go through life. It’s a snapshot of one year of their life, likely when they made lifelong friends and grew into the adults they are today.
But according to USA Today, a yearbook decision at Mesa High School is drawing a lot of ire.
Pages 40 and 41 of the school’s 255-page yearbook, Superstition Vol. 105, feature photographs and a description of how difficult it is to raise children and attend high school at the same time. The pages are titled “I’m working a double shift.”
The feature prompted plenty of angry parents to call the school. Many felt the section painted teenage pregnancy in the same light as sports and school clubs.
Helen Hollands, a Mesa Public School spokesperson, said the district is “100 percent” behind expectant students and supports their academic career. She said she does not believe the controversy will result in changes to district yearbook policy.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development