A yearbook is a large part of the high school experience.
Most people save theirs to look back on as they go through life. It’s a snapshot of one year of their life, likely when they made lifelong friends and grew into the adults they are today.
But according to USA Today, a yearbook decision at Mesa High School is drawing a lot of ire.
Pages 40 and 41 of the school’s 255-page yearbook, Superstition Vol. 105, feature photographs and a description of how difficult it is to raise children and attend high school at the same time. The pages are titled “I’m working a double shift.”
The feature prompted plenty of angry parents to call the school. Many felt the section painted teenage pregnancy in the same light as sports and school clubs.
Helen Hollands, a Mesa Public School spokesperson, said the district is “100 percent” behind expectant students and supports their academic career. She said she does not believe the controversy will result in changes to district yearbook policy.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl