PHOENIX — Police dispatchers in the City of Goodyear have made a big move.
No longer are they stuck in an old, 1,800-square-foot facility filled with power failures and flooding problems.
As of May 6, 911 operators are now fielding emergency calls from a brand new, 10,000-square-foot state of the art telecommunications center in a stand-alone building.
This means a number of benefits for residents with an emergency.
“You can be guaranteed the systems are going to work,” said Chris Nadeau, manager of the telecommunications center.
Nadeau said the Goodyear center received more than 100,000 calls last year.
“We will have the ability to train our staff better to handle those calls faster and the ability to ensure that we can turn that around faster to get whatever you need, police, fire or medical, faster,” he explained.
The new facility also includes a lactating room for nursing mothers, an exercise room, showers and a large break room. Nadeau said they have 12 operators and four supervisors who work 10- to 12-hour shifts.
It also contains an Emergency Operations Center, in case of a major event, such has urban wildfires or catastrophic flooding.
The facility is also designed to serve Goodyear’s plan for growth and expansion for the next 30 years.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon