PHOENIX — Police dispatchers in the City of Goodyear have made a big move.
No longer are they stuck in an old, 1,800-square-foot facility filled with power failures and flooding problems.
As of May 6, 911 operators are now fielding emergency calls from a brand new, 10,000-square-foot state of the art telecommunications center in a stand-alone building.
This means a number of benefits for residents with an emergency.
“You can be guaranteed the systems are going to work,” said Chris Nadeau, manager of the telecommunications center.
Nadeau said the Goodyear center received more than 100,000 calls last year.
“We will have the ability to train our staff better to handle those calls faster and the ability to ensure that we can turn that around faster to get whatever you need, police, fire or medical, faster,” he explained.
The new facility also includes a lactating room for nursing mothers, an exercise room, showers and a large break room. Nadeau said they have 12 operators and four supervisors who work 10- to 12-hour shifts.
It also contains an Emergency Operations Center, in case of a major event, such has urban wildfires or catastrophic flooding.
The facility is also designed to serve Goodyear’s plan for growth and expansion for the next 30 years.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier