PHOENIX — Before you stock up for the Fourth of July, be warned: It is now illegal to use certain fireworks in Arizona.
A new state law goes into effect Tuesday that clearly defines which ones are legal and which ones aren’t.
Sparklers, party poppers and snappers are still legal. Ground spinners, wheels and illuminating torches are only permissible part of the year, while airborne fireworks, like firecrackers, bottle rockets and roman candles, are permanently banned.
Phoenix Fire Inspector Brian Scholl said they’re trying to curb injuries and fires.
“Our advice to all our citizens is not to use them at all,” Scholl said. “There are plenty of good fireworks shows around the city.”
In Phoenix, it’s now a Class 1 misdemeanor with fines up to $1,000 to buy, sell or use banned fireworks.
Scholl said the new law also does a good job clearing up any confusion about where fireworks can and can’t be used.
“The individual cities cannot regulate the use anymore,” he explained. “The other big difference (in the law) is you can no longer do year-round sales at the bigger stores. They’re only allowed to sell during a certain time of year.”
Get the full list of permissible and illegal fireworks by clicking here.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America