PHOENIX — Before you stock up for the Fourth of July, be warned: It is now illegal to use certain fireworks in Arizona.
A new state law goes into effect Tuesday that clearly defines which ones are legal and which ones aren’t.
Sparklers, party poppers and snappers are still legal. Ground spinners, wheels and illuminating torches are only permissible part of the year, while airborne fireworks, like firecrackers, bottle rockets and roman candles, are permanently banned.
Phoenix Fire Inspector Brian Scholl said they’re trying to curb injuries and fires.
“Our advice to all our citizens is not to use them at all,” Scholl said. “There are plenty of good fireworks shows around the city.”
In Phoenix, it’s now a Class 1 misdemeanor with fines up to $1,000 to buy, sell or use banned fireworks.
Scholl said the new law also does a good job clearing up any confusion about where fireworks can and can’t be used.
“The individual cities cannot regulate the use anymore,” he explained. “The other big difference (in the law) is you can no longer do year-round sales at the bigger stores. They’re only allowed to sell during a certain time of year.”
Get the full list of permissible and illegal fireworks by clicking here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night