PHOENIX — It’s decision day for city leaders.
After holding 20 public hearings, council members are scheduled to vote this afternoon on a $1.1 billion budget.
The proposed budget from the city manager calls for $11 million in new revenue through higher taxes and fees and $16 million in savings through employee concessions, which means workers would receive smaller raises and bonuses than they expected.
According to City Manager Ed Zuercher, Phoenix is facing a nearly $38 million budget shortfall. To avoid cutting services, he proposes the following:
• Extra $1.50 tax on residential municipal services bills (water, sewer and trash);
• $0.05 fee per plastic grocery bag to offset city costs associated with cleanup;
• Demand-based pricing for parking meter system where the current $1.50 per hour rate could jump to $6.00;
• Higher fees for annual passes for recreation and senior centers;
• Higher fees to use athletic fields;
• New $5 per hour fee for using athletic field lights at night.
According to the city manager’s budget, the higher taxes, fees and employee concessions can help Phoenix hire new police and firefighters sooner than expected, with new officers being hired as early as next March and April.
The city council will meet at 1 p.m. at council chambers, located in Phoenix at 200 W. Jefferson St.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.