PHOENIX — It’s decision day for city leaders.
After holding 20 public hearings, council members are scheduled to vote this afternoon on a $1.1 billion budget.
The proposed budget from the city manager calls for $11 million in new revenue through higher taxes and fees and $16 million in savings through employee concessions, which means workers would receive smaller raises and bonuses than they expected.
According to City Manager Ed Zuercher, Phoenix is facing a nearly $38 million budget shortfall. To avoid cutting services, he proposes the following:
• Extra $1.50 tax on residential municipal services bills (water, sewer and trash);
• $0.05 fee per plastic grocery bag to offset city costs associated with cleanup;
• Demand-based pricing for parking meter system where the current $1.50 per hour rate could jump to $6.00;
• Higher fees for annual passes for recreation and senior centers;
• Higher fees to use athletic fields;
• New $5 per hour fee for using athletic field lights at night.
According to the city manager’s budget, the higher taxes, fees and employee concessions can help Phoenix hire new police and firefighters sooner than expected, with new officers being hired as early as next March and April.
The city council will meet at 1 p.m. at council chambers, located in Phoenix at 200 W. Jefferson St.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick