PHOENIX — City leaders in Mesa will hold a public hearing Monday to discuss and vote on raising rates and fees on city-owned utilities.
That includes water, electric, solid waste, natural gas and utility service fees. If approved, the average homeowner would pay close to $9 more per month. According to a city council report, the changes will generate an additional $13,503,000 per year.
The council will also discuss raising admission fees at some museums and increasing or adding charges for certain library services. For example, charging someone $2 per item that they request through the Interlibrary Loan System and fail to pick up and also doubling the fee from 50 cents to $1 for not picking up an item placed on hold within seven days.
The council is also expected to vote on amending the zoning ordinance in response to a recent Arizona Supreme Court case involving tattoo parlors. Currently, tattoo parlors and body piercing salons require a Council Use Permit and include a 1,200-foot separation from schools, churches and other tattoo parlors. If the changes are approved, the 1,200-foot requirement would disappear and tattoo parlors would be able to open in all business-zoned areas across the city.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.