PHOENIX — City leaders in Mesa will hold a public hearing Monday to discuss and vote on raising rates and fees on city-owned utilities.
That includes water, electric, solid waste, natural gas and utility service fees. If approved, the average homeowner would pay close to $9 more per month. According to a city council report, the changes will generate an additional $13,503,000 per year.
The council will also discuss raising admission fees at some museums and increasing or adding charges for certain library services. For example, charging someone $2 per item that they request through the Interlibrary Loan System and fail to pick up and also doubling the fee from 50 cents to $1 for not picking up an item placed on hold within seven days.
The council is also expected to vote on amending the zoning ordinance in response to a recent Arizona Supreme Court case involving tattoo parlors. Currently, tattoo parlors and body piercing salons require a Council Use Permit and include a 1,200-foot separation from schools, churches and other tattoo parlors. If the changes are approved, the 1,200-foot requirement would disappear and tattoo parlors would be able to open in all business-zoned areas across the city.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development