PHOENIX — Nine years after an illegal marijuana-growing operation was found in one of the state’s most rugged and remote country near Strawberry, Fossil Springs Wilderness has been restored to its natural condition.
About 20,000 pot plants were found in 2005 and eradicated but it took until now to come up with the funds to remove 3,000 pounds of irrigation tubing and other garbage from the wilderness area. Clean-up required helicopters to haul out the load.
Heather Noel, a Forest Service spokeswoman, said 150 pounds of trash was removed, gathered up by volunteers with Arizona Wilderness Coalition earlier this month.
“You don’t normally have helicopters fly in a wilderness area but we would’ve done a lot of damage with that many people getting the garbage out of there,” Noel said.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets