PHOENIX — A 12-year-old from Phoenix sure hopes he knows his way around the world. If he does, he’ll be the winner of the National Geographic Bee that begins Monday in Washington.
Ari Mehta, a sixth-grader at Desert Cove Elementary School, has been memorizing places since he was 3, when his dad taught him the state capitals. That knack has sent him, along with 53 other kids, to the 26th annual contest.
They’re competing for the title, a college scholarship and trip to the Galapagos. Top prize is worth $50,000. Runners-up will earn scholarships valued at $25,000 and $10,000.
Mehta won the state Bee last month at Arizona State University.
Ari Mehta just won first place in the state level Geography Bee at ASU. Now he heads to DC! Way to go Ari!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/On2ElkoKDd
— Desert Cove E.S. (@CougarCommunity) April 4, 2014
The top 10 finishers in Monday’s preliminary round move on to Wednesday’s finals.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food