PHOENIX — A 12-year-old from Phoenix sure hopes he knows his way around the world. If he does, he’ll be the winner of the National Geographic Bee that begins Monday in Washington.
Ari Mehta, a sixth-grader at Desert Cove Elementary School, has been memorizing places since he was 3, when his dad taught him the state capitals. That knack has sent him, along with 53 other kids, to the 26th annual contest.
They’re competing for the title, a college scholarship and trip to the Galapagos. Top prize is worth $50,000. Runners-up will earn scholarships valued at $25,000 and $10,000.
Mehta won the state Bee last month at Arizona State University.
Ari Mehta just won first place in the state level Geography Bee at ASU. Now he heads to DC! Way to go Ari!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/On2ElkoKDd
— Desert Cove E.S. (@CougarCommunity) April 4, 2014
The top 10 finishers in Monday’s preliminary round move on to Wednesday’s finals.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development