PHOENIX — A 12-year-old from Phoenix sure hopes he knows his way around the world. If he does, he’ll be the winner of the National Geographic Bee that begins Monday in Washington.
Ari Mehta, a sixth-grader at Desert Cove Elementary School, has been memorizing places since he was 3, when his dad taught him the state capitals. That knack has sent him, along with 53 other kids, to the 26th annual contest.
They’re competing for the title, a college scholarship and trip to the Galapagos. Top prize is worth $50,000. Runners-up will earn scholarships valued at $25,000 and $10,000.
Mehta won the state Bee last month at Arizona State University.
Ari Mehta just won first place in the state level Geography Bee at ASU. Now he heads to DC! Way to go Ari!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/On2ElkoKDd
— Desert Cove E.S. (@CougarCommunity) April 4, 2014
The top 10 finishers in Monday’s preliminary round move on to Wednesday’s finals.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night