PHOENIX — A 12-year-old from Phoenix sure hopes he knows his way around the world. If he does, he’ll be the winner of the National Geographic Bee that begins Monday in Washington.
Ari Mehta, a sixth-grader at Desert Cove Elementary School, has been memorizing places since he was 3, when his dad taught him the state capitals. That knack has sent him, along with 53 other kids, to the 26th annual contest.
They’re competing for the title, a college scholarship and trip to the Galapagos. Top prize is worth $50,000. Runners-up will earn scholarships valued at $25,000 and $10,000.
Mehta won the state Bee last month at Arizona State University.
Ari Mehta just won first place in the state level Geography Bee at ASU. Now he heads to DC! Way to go Ari!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/On2ElkoKDd
— Desert Cove E.S. (@CougarCommunity) April 4, 2014
The top 10 finishers in Monday’s preliminary round move on to Wednesday’s finals.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier