PHOENIX — What’s in a name? If it’s the right name, a lot.
Arizona Republicans seeking the governor’s office are lining up endorsements and Valley political expert Stan Barnes said Gov. Jan Brewer’s name is at the top of everyone’s wish list.
“Normally endorsements are a lot of heat and no light. They’re not really that impactful,” Barnes said. “In a Republican primary that’s close, distinguishing yourself with a prominent, respected governor like Jan Brewer would make a lot of difference.”
Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, is another coveted endorsement.
Last week, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was the the first big-name Republican to throw his support behind one of several GOP gubernatorial candidates, backing Doug Ducey, the state treasurer.
The Republican field includes Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett, former Go Daddy executive Christine Jones, former Mesa mayor Scott Smith and former California Congressman Frank Riggs.
Fred DuVal is the leading Democrat in the race. He’s a former Clinton staffer and Barnes said an endorsement from President Clinton would have a “tremendous” impact in the general election.
“Time has been good to Bill Clinton and I think he is generally liked by the center of the Arizona political electorate. … I think it’s one of the secret weapons that Fred DuVal has.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night