PHOENIX — What’s in a name? If it’s the right name, a lot.
Arizona Republicans seeking the governor’s office are lining up endorsements and Valley political expert Stan Barnes said Gov. Jan Brewer’s name is at the top of everyone’s wish list.
“Normally endorsements are a lot of heat and no light. They’re not really that impactful,” Barnes said. “In a Republican primary that’s close, distinguishing yourself with a prominent, respected governor like Jan Brewer would make a lot of difference.”
Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, is another coveted endorsement.
Last week, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was the the first big-name Republican to throw his support behind one of several GOP gubernatorial candidates, backing Doug Ducey, the state treasurer.
The Republican field includes Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett, former Go Daddy executive Christine Jones, former Mesa mayor Scott Smith and former California Congressman Frank Riggs.
Fred DuVal is the leading Democrat in the race. He’s a former Clinton staffer and Barnes said an endorsement from President Clinton would have a “tremendous” impact in the general election.
“Time has been good to Bill Clinton and I think he is generally liked by the center of the Arizona political electorate. … I think it’s one of the secret weapons that Fred DuVal has.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development