PHOENIX — What’s in a name? If it’s the right name, a lot.
Arizona Republicans seeking the governor’s office are lining up endorsements and Valley political expert Stan Barnes said Gov. Jan Brewer’s name is at the top of everyone’s wish list.
“Normally endorsements are a lot of heat and no light. They’re not really that impactful,” Barnes said. “In a Republican primary that’s close, distinguishing yourself with a prominent, respected governor like Jan Brewer would make a lot of difference.”
Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, is another coveted endorsement.
Last week, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was the the first big-name Republican to throw his support behind one of several GOP gubernatorial candidates, backing Doug Ducey, the state treasurer.
The Republican field includes Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett, former Go Daddy executive Christine Jones, former Mesa mayor Scott Smith and former California Congressman Frank Riggs.
Fred DuVal is the leading Democrat in the race. He’s a former Clinton staffer and Barnes said an endorsement from President Clinton would have a “tremendous” impact in the general election.
“Time has been good to Bill Clinton and I think he is generally liked by the center of the Arizona political electorate. … I think it’s one of the secret weapons that Fred DuVal has.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier