PHOENIX — It’s EMS Week in Mesa, and the city’s fire department is looking to let people know they do a lot more than just put out fires.
“When someone calls 911 for a medical emergency you get a fire truck, and you get four people on a fire truck, two paramedics and two EMTs,” said Mesa Fire Department spokeswoman Larissa Dvorak. “With us we bring a lot of specialized equipment to take care of just about any type of medical emergency.”
Dvorak said as part of EMS Week, which ends Friday, many fire stations are opening up their doors to show off some of the medical services they provide.
“A lot of people don’t realize that the fire departments do perform blood pressure tests to citizens in the community,” Dvorak said.
They’re also highlighting some of the life-saving tools EMS crews use nearly every day.
“When someone’s in the hospital and they’re not breathing on their own, (doctors) stick a tube down their throat and there’s a machine that basically breathes for them,” Dvorak said. “What we have is a portable version of that.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon