PHOENIX — A driver in a pickup truck going the wrong direction caused two fatalities in a head-on crash early Sunday morning in Gilbert, Ariz., the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.
The collision happened on the eastbound Loop 202 Santan Freeway shortly before 2 a.m., DPS said, and the highway was promptly closed in both directions between Highley and Williams Field roads for several hours.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said the freeway wasn’t reopened to drivers until nearly 11 a.m.
The driver in the pickup truck is in serious condition, while a passenger sustained non-life-threatening injuries, DPS said. Both were taken to a hospital.
Two people in the other vehicle have died, DPS said.
Officials have not yet released the names of anyone involved.
Sunday’s accident was the third caused by a wrong-way driver in the Valley in a span of a week, the other two also involving fatalities. Arizona DPS recently told KTAR that wrong-way drivers are a common phenomenon in the state. DPS gets calls about wrong-way drivers almost daily, but not every incident results in a crash.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night