PHOENIX — A driver in a pickup truck going the wrong direction caused two fatalities in a head-on crash early Sunday morning in Gilbert, Ariz., the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.
The collision happened on the eastbound Loop 202 Santan Freeway shortly before 2 a.m., DPS said, and the highway was promptly closed in both directions between Highley and Williams Field roads for several hours.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said the freeway wasn’t reopened to drivers until nearly 11 a.m.
The driver in the pickup truck is in serious condition, while a passenger sustained non-life-threatening injuries, DPS said. Both were taken to a hospital.
Two people in the other vehicle have died, DPS said.
Officials have not yet released the names of anyone involved.
Sunday’s accident was the third caused by a wrong-way driver in the Valley in a span of a week, the other two also involving fatalities. Arizona DPS recently told KTAR that wrong-way drivers are a common phenomenon in the state. DPS gets calls about wrong-way drivers almost daily, but not every incident results in a crash.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon