Just half an hour before he was set to receive his high school diploma, Alexander Ward’s father passed away, according to a Facebook post from Peoria Unified School District.
But the Ironwood High School senior wouldn’t miss out altogether on the opportunity to walk in a graduation ceremony.
The school gathered more than 200 graduates and teachers, along with the family and friends of Ward, to celebrate his accomplishment on Friday.
The function was a basic reenactment of the previous night’s ceremony, with fellow graduates in attendance wearing caps and gowns. Ward was also formally presented his diploma by the school principal Vance Setka recommending approval of Ward’s receipt of diploma to the Peoria Unified School District president, who formally approves Ward on behalf of the district’s board of governors.
The room where the ceremony takes place erupts with applause at the presentation, as handshakes and hugs are given between Ward and the ceremony officiants.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development