Just half an hour before he was set to receive his high school diploma, Alexander Ward’s father passed away, according to a Facebook post from Peoria Unified School District.
But the Ironwood High School senior wouldn’t miss out altogether on the opportunity to walk in a graduation ceremony.
The school gathered more than 200 graduates and teachers, along with the family and friends of Ward, to celebrate his accomplishment on Friday.
The function was a basic reenactment of the previous night’s ceremony, with fellow graduates in attendance wearing caps and gowns. Ward was also formally presented his diploma by the school principal Vance Setka recommending approval of Ward’s receipt of diploma to the Peoria Unified School District president, who formally approves Ward on behalf of the district’s board of governors.
The room where the ceremony takes place erupts with applause at the presentation, as handshakes and hugs are given between Ward and the ceremony officiants.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas