PHOENIX — Maricopa County Environmental Control is hard at work trying to limit mosquitoes in the Valley.
The department has been fogging areas to fight the pests since last month.
It decides to fog an area once it finds certain insects in its mosquito traps.
“Thirty or more of the Culex type of mosquito, which is the species that most likely would carry West Nile Virus, or if we find a trap with over 300 of any kind of mosquito species,” said Environmental Control Public Information Officer Johnny Dilone.
He said that they started fogging after finding mosquitoes in both the east and west valleys.
“So far this year, we have had over 40 Culex exceedances,” said Dilone. “Due to this, over 9,000 acres have already been treated.”
But so far, there has actually been less fogging than in recent years.
“We’ve been seeing a drop or trending down in fogging,” Dilone said. “This is due to us finding the sources sooner, being more aware and treating areas sooner.”
Dilone said that with the monsoon season still to come, it’s too early to tell whether we’ll see more of the pests than we have in recent years.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes