PHOENIX — Maricopa County Environmental Control is hard at work trying to limit mosquitoes in the Valley.
The department has been fogging areas to fight the pests since last month.
It decides to fog an area once it finds certain insects in its mosquito traps.
“Thirty or more of the Culex type of mosquito, which is the species that most likely would carry West Nile Virus, or if we find a trap with over 300 of any kind of mosquito species,” said Environmental Control Public Information Officer Johnny Dilone.
He said that they started fogging after finding mosquitoes in both the east and west valleys.
“So far this year, we have had over 40 Culex exceedances,” said Dilone. “Due to this, over 9,000 acres have already been treated.”
But so far, there has actually been less fogging than in recent years.
“We’ve been seeing a drop or trending down in fogging,” Dilone said. “This is due to us finding the sources sooner, being more aware and treating areas sooner.”
Dilone said that with the monsoon season still to come, it’s too early to tell whether we’ll see more of the pests than we have in recent years.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America