PHOENIX — Maricopa County Environmental Control is hard at work trying to limit mosquitoes in the Valley.
The department has been fogging areas to fight the pests since last month.
It decides to fog an area once it finds certain insects in its mosquito traps.
“Thirty or more of the Culex type of mosquito, which is the species that most likely would carry West Nile Virus, or if we find a trap with over 300 of any kind of mosquito species,” said Environmental Control Public Information Officer Johnny Dilone.
He said that they started fogging after finding mosquitoes in both the east and west valleys.
“So far this year, we have had over 40 Culex exceedances,” said Dilone. “Due to this, over 9,000 acres have already been treated.”
But so far, there has actually been less fogging than in recent years.
“We’ve been seeing a drop or trending down in fogging,” Dilone said. “This is due to us finding the sources sooner, being more aware and treating areas sooner.”
Dilone said that with the monsoon season still to come, it’s too early to tell whether we’ll see more of the pests than we have in recent years.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development