WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — Navajo Nation President Ben Shelly has filed for
re-election, and he’ll face his former boss in the race.
Shelly submitted his paperwork Friday at the election office in Window Rock,
less than two weeks ahead of the deadline for candidates to file.
The primary election is set for Aug. 26. Voters will choose two candidates to
move on to November’s general election.
Shelly served 16 years on the Navajo Nation Council and as vice president under
Joe Shirley Jr., who also is seeking the presidency. Shelly beat Lynda Lovejoy
in the 2010 presidential election.
Shelly has chosen to keep Vice President Rex Lee Jim as his running mate.
They’re traveling to their hometowns of Thoreau, New Mexico, and Rock Point this
weekend to discuss their campaigns.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee