PHOENIX — A man was arrested Thursday night after allegedly hitting a recent Arizona State University graduate and his mother in downtown Tempe, police said.
Court documents identified the mother as Denise Durocher and the recent graduate as Anthony Pelot.
“[Durocher] was in very, very critical condition,” said Lt. Mike Pooley. “She was taken to the hospital where she is still suffering from very serious injuries.”
Police arrested the driver, 22-year-old Andrew Merriman, who had just left the El Hefe bar.
“When our officers got out there, they saw that Andrew Merriman was believed to be impaired,” said Pooley. “They arrested him for aggravated DUI, aggravated assault as well as endangerment.”
Documents said Merriman was driving a Ford Mustang when he lost control. The vehicle hit a curb, street light, several bushes and a tree before hitting Durocher and Pelot.
Merriman was driving on a suspended license after he failed to appear in a Surprise, Ariz. court.
El Hefe is being investigated.
Pelot was not seriously injured.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon