PHOENIX — A man was arrested Thursday night after allegedly hitting a recent Arizona State University graduate and his mother in downtown Tempe, police said.
Court documents identified the mother as Denise Durocher and the recent graduate as Anthony Pelot.
“[Durocher] was in very, very critical condition,” said Lt. Mike Pooley. “She was taken to the hospital where she is still suffering from very serious injuries.”
Police arrested the driver, 22-year-old Andrew Merriman, who had just left the El Hefe bar.
“When our officers got out there, they saw that Andrew Merriman was believed to be impaired,” said Pooley. “They arrested him for aggravated DUI, aggravated assault as well as endangerment.”
Documents said Merriman was driving a Ford Mustang when he lost control. The vehicle hit a curb, street light, several bushes and a tree before hitting Durocher and Pelot.
Merriman was driving on a suspended license after he failed to appear in a Surprise, Ariz. court.
El Hefe is being investigated.
Pelot was not seriously injured.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes