PHOENIX — Four national cellphone companies are offering a new way to report an emergency to police.
Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint are offering a service that allows customers to text 911. Doing so will route the emergency message directly to local police. The agency then gets your text along with information about your location.
The catch is that many police agencies, including those in Arizona, aren’t using the system yet. One of those that has yet to adopt is the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
“It is in the works, but it’s something that’s going to take a long time,” said Carrick Cook, public information officer for DPS.
He said that even when the system gets set up, DPS would rather have you call 911 instead of texting.
“We need to talk to people, and have them explain to us where it is,” Cook said. “We may have questions for people. That’s where 911 texts would not be appropriate.”
Cook said it takes longer to text than to talk. He said it will likely take police longer to respond to a problem when someone texts instead of calls.
And there are also dangers with texting while driving.
“Texting is a distraction. Manipulating your phone is a distraction,” said Cook. “We encourage 911 calls.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them