A Department of Veteran Affairs official has resigned Friday, as the agency tries to overcome negative attention and criticism over issues at its health care facilities.
Undersecretary Robert Petzel stepped down two weeks after saying an early review of corruption allegations at the Phoenix VA hospital showed no signs of wrongdoing.
Peltzer was the second-highest ranked member of the department.
The announcement was posted to the VA site by its chief, Erik Shinseki, and also tweeted out:
“Today, I accepted the resignation of Dr. Robert Petzel, Under Secretary for Health in the Department of Veterans Affairs.
“As we know from the Veteran community, most Veterans are satisfied with the quality of their VA health care, but we must do more to improve timely access to that care.
“I am committed to strengthening Veterans’ trust and confidence in their VA healthcare system.
“I thank Dr. Petzel for his four decades of service to Veterans.”
Shinseki has spent his last few days in front of a Washington panel defending himself and his department from accusations of secret lists, long waits for treatment and engineered numbers. Some of the veterans left waiting eventually died.
A retired Army general, Shinseki said he was “mad as hell” about the allegations and promised action if an investigation proved the agency was at fault. He has said he would not resign.
The director of the Phoenix VA, Sharon Helman, and two aides were placed on leave May 1.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.