PHOENIX — Almost three-quarters of a million Arizonans are expected to take to the roads and skies over Memorial Day weekend, Triple-A of Arizona said.
“The majority — about 87 percent of Arizonans traveling — will be driving to their destination,” said spokeswoman Michelle Donati. “That’s up by about a half-percent or a little more than a half-percent over last year.”
The 718,000 Arizonans traveling is an increase of about 6,500 from last year, an increase of nearly 1 percent.
“Very healthy travel numbers and we’re really attributing this to continued improvement in the economy, disposable income and consumer confidence,” said Donati.
The slight bump comes despite increases in travel costs. Airfares are up 6 percent, mid-range hotels are up 2 percent and rental cars are up 1 percent. Gas will be about $3.50 per gallon in Arizona during the holiday.
Nationally, more than 36 million Americans are expected to travel 50 miles or more. If that estimate holds true, it would be the largest amount of people traveling during the holiday weekend since 2005.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes