PHOENIX — Almost three-quarters of a million Arizonans are expected to take to the roads and skies over Memorial Day weekend, Triple-A of Arizona said.
“The majority — about 87 percent of Arizonans traveling — will be driving to their destination,” said spokeswoman Michelle Donati. “That’s up by about a half-percent or a little more than a half-percent over last year.”
The 718,000 Arizonans traveling is an increase of about 6,500 from last year, an increase of nearly 1 percent.
“Very healthy travel numbers and we’re really attributing this to continued improvement in the economy, disposable income and consumer confidence,” said Donati.
The slight bump comes despite increases in travel costs. Airfares are up 6 percent, mid-range hotels are up 2 percent and rental cars are up 1 percent. Gas will be about $3.50 per gallon in Arizona during the holiday.
Nationally, more than 36 million Americans are expected to travel 50 miles or more. If that estimate holds true, it would be the largest amount of people traveling during the holiday weekend since 2005.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.