PHOENIX — Almost three-quarters of a million Arizonans are expected to take to the roads and skies over Memorial Day weekend, Triple-A of Arizona said.
“The majority — about 87 percent of Arizonans traveling — will be driving to their destination,” said spokeswoman Michelle Donati. “That’s up by about a half-percent or a little more than a half-percent over last year.”
The 718,000 Arizonans traveling is an increase of about 6,500 from last year, an increase of nearly 1 percent.
“Very healthy travel numbers and we’re really attributing this to continued improvement in the economy, disposable income and consumer confidence,” said Donati.
The slight bump comes despite increases in travel costs. Airfares are up 6 percent, mid-range hotels are up 2 percent and rental cars are up 1 percent. Gas will be about $3.50 per gallon in Arizona during the holiday.
Nationally, more than 36 million Americans are expected to travel 50 miles or more. If that estimate holds true, it would be the largest amount of people traveling during the holiday weekend since 2005.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food