You have a chance to be a hero this weekend, as 140 cats and dogs are looking for foster homes.
Bretta Nelson with the Arizona Humane Society says you can decide how long to take one in.
“Some of the ones that might be a little bit easier are those cats and dogs suffering from upper respiratory infections or colds,” she said. “That may just be a two week or little bit shorter term.”
There are also options to keep a pet for up to two months.
“We have the orthopedic cases where they have a broken leg or may even need an amputation, and those can be a little bit longer,” said Nelson.
Costs to bring home a foster pet should be relatively low. Nelson says they’ll cover the medical costs and in some cases, food, blankets and toys will be provided.
“Really you don’t need anything to be a foster home besides a big heart and a house,” she said.
The next Arizona Humane Society Foster Hero Orientation is Saturday from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Sunnyslope Campus located at 9226 N. 13th Avenue in Phoenix. To register for an orientation, visit www.azhumane.org or call volunteer services at 602-997-7586, extension 1040.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.