PHOENIX — Downtown Phoenix will be the site of the new Biosciences Partnership Building. The University of Arizona College of Medicine and the city of Phoenix announced plans Thursday to construct a 10-story, 245,000-square-foot research building, pending approval from the Arizona Board of Regents in June.
“This is an investment by the taxpayers,” said Ann Weaver Hart, president of the University of Arizona. “It is also part of the vision in our state to grow our economy and create the kind of jobs that will keep our graduates in Arizona.”
If the plans are approved, the groundbreaking would take place by the end of the year and the facility would take an estimated three years to complete. The project represents 500 jobs in design and construction and another 360 permanent jobs at buildout, Mayor Greg Stanton said.
“The new biosciences building continues the progress we’ve made with the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, and it’s just another way the University of Arizona is helping to creating a better quality of life and economy in our community,” said Stanton.
Research focus areas include neurosciences, health care outcomes, cancer and precision medicine, Hart said.
“Researchers will be looking for answers to most daunting questions in health care,” the UA president said. “All of this important work will have a major effect on our state, bigger breakthroughs and better health outcomes for all Arizonans.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them