Bonneville Phoenix Network
 KTAR News
 Arizona Sports
92.3 FM KTAR

Prosecutors to review ex-MCSO deputy’s police work

PHOENIX — The top county prosecutor for metropolitan Phoenix says his
office will review criminal cases involving a former sheriff’s deputy who was
found to have kept evidence from investigations inside his home about a week
before his death in an apparent suicide.

Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said Thursday that an unknown number
of cases involving former Deputy Ramon Charley Armendariz’s work as an officer
will have to be reviewed to determine whether the discoveries will affect past
and current criminal cases.

Investigators searching Armendariz’s home in west Phoenix said they found
evidence from criminal cases dating back to 2007, a collection of IDs belonging
to other people and suspected illegal drugs.

Police were called after Armendariz reported a burglary in progress on April 30
at his home in west Phoenix. No burglar was found, and Armendariz later died in
an apparent hanging after his arrest on suspicion of drug possession.

If Armendariz had started an investigation and didn’t turn in police reports or
evidence, prosecutors wouldn’t be able to pursue those cases in court,
Montgomery said.

“The person who had firsthand knowledge isn’t around anymore,” Montgomery

The sheriff’s office didn’t respond to a request for comment Thursday afternoon
on the agency’s investigation of Armendariz.

Last week, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he didn’t yet know whether Armendariz’s
alleged crimes were limited to the former deputy or whether he was working on
behalf of criminals. His office is conducting an internal affairs investigation
to determine whether other employees were involved.

Officers who responded to the break-in call found Armendariz armed with a
pepper ball gun and chasing a phantom burglar. Investigators suspect Armendariz,
who resigned from the police agency after his arrest, was either under the
influence of drugs or having a manic episode. Armendariz claimed to have taken a
sleeping aid.

Days later, police went to the home again after friends of Armendariz became
concerned that he was threatening to harm himself. After a nearly nine-hour
barricade situation, he surrendered peacefully and was taken to a psychiatric
center. He was found dead on May 8 after he failed to get an electronic ankle
monitor ordered as a condition of his release from jail.

Investigators searching the home found numerous driver’s licenses, ID cards,
passports, credit cards, airport security clearance cards and wallets.

Boxes of sheriff’s office documents, including criminal citations that were
never prosecuted because copies hadn’t been given to the courts, also were
discovered. Some citations had been completed but were torn up, according to
search warrant records.


comments powered by Disqus