Many people who have attended weddings have witnessed father-daughter dances, cake being shoved in each of the newlyweds’ mouths and women throwing elbows trying to establish position for the bouquet toss.
Aaliyah and Benjamin Armstrong’s wedding involved the Haka.
The Haka is an ancient Māori war dance performed on a battlefield to demonstrate the tribe’s strength, pride and unity. However, the dance can be performed in many peace offering occasions, or in this case, a wedding.
The couple’s wedding Haka was put together by the groom’s best man as a sign of respect from his family, and symbolizes two families coming together as one.
- ‘Queen of Soul’ Aretha Franklin has died at 76
- UofA study finds marriage can prevent heart attack, stroke
- Marana police release report on suspected DUI arrest of Arizona ‘bride’
- Arizona police arrest bride suspected of driving drunk to her own wedding
- Neighbors come together for ‘Neighbor Dance Challenge’