PHOENIX — Arizona Senate Minority Leader Anna Tovar announced Thursday that she has dropped out of the running for both offices she was interested in pursuing for 2015.
Tovar, a Democrat, who represents the 19th District, was considering running for re-election and she had also formed an exploratory committee to run for Maricopa County Board of Supervisors in District 5.
“After speaking with my family and friends, I have decided that I will not be running for public office in this election cycle. With the support of my family, friends, and community, I have been honored to serve my district and state as an elected public servant.
“While it has been one of my greatest privileges, I feel that I must now take a new direction and focus on my family, maintaining my continued good health, and serving the community through some of the boards and organizations I am involved in,” Tovar said in a statement.
Tovar also tweeted out the decision, just as she did last month when she filed the paperwork to run for the County Board:
Today I filed papers to form an exploratory committee for Maricopa County District 5 Board of Supervisors seat.. 1/4 pic.twitter.com/mGYFD6uYf6
— Anna Tovar (@TovarforArizona) April 3, 2014
Tovar, who grew up in Tolleson, took office in 2013. She was elected to the House of Representatives in 2010, after serving on Tolleson’s city council.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night