PHOENIX — Arizona Senate Minority Leader Anna Tovar announced Thursday that she has dropped out of the running for both offices she was interested in pursuing for 2015.
Tovar, a Democrat, who represents the 19th District, was considering running for re-election and she had also formed an exploratory committee to run for Maricopa County Board of Supervisors in District 5.
“After speaking with my family and friends, I have decided that I will not be running for public office in this election cycle. With the support of my family, friends, and community, I have been honored to serve my district and state as an elected public servant.
“While it has been one of my greatest privileges, I feel that I must now take a new direction and focus on my family, maintaining my continued good health, and serving the community through some of the boards and organizations I am involved in,” Tovar said in a statement.
Tovar also tweeted out the decision, just as she did last month when she filed the paperwork to run for the County Board:
Today I filed papers to form an exploratory committee for Maricopa County District 5 Board of Supervisors seat.. 1/4 pic.twitter.com/mGYFD6uYf6
— Anna Tovar (@TovarforArizona) April 3, 2014
Tovar, who grew up in Tolleson, took office in 2013. She was elected to the House of Representatives in 2010, after serving on Tolleson’s city council.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy