PHOENIX — Arizona Senate Minority Leader Anna Tovar announced Thursday that she has dropped out of the running for both offices she was interested in pursuing for 2015.
Tovar, a Democrat, who represents the 19th District, was considering running for re-election and she had also formed an exploratory committee to run for Maricopa County Board of Supervisors in District 5.
“After speaking with my family and friends, I have decided that I will not be running for public office in this election cycle. With the support of my family, friends, and community, I have been honored to serve my district and state as an elected public servant.
“While it has been one of my greatest privileges, I feel that I must now take a new direction and focus on my family, maintaining my continued good health, and serving the community through some of the boards and organizations I am involved in,” Tovar said in a statement.
Tovar also tweeted out the decision, just as she did last month when she filed the paperwork to run for the County Board:
Today I filed papers to form an exploratory committee for Maricopa County District 5 Board of Supervisors seat.. 1/4 pic.twitter.com/mGYFD6uYf6
— Anna Tovar (@TovarforArizona) April 3, 2014
Tovar, who grew up in Tolleson, took office in 2013. She was elected to the House of Representatives in 2010, after serving on Tolleson’s city council.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.