Thousands of Arizona State University students received their diplomas Wednesday night.
Most of them now have massive college loan debt staring them in the face.
Marcus Johnson with Tempe-based Johnson Financial Advisors says the average student loan debt climbed to $29,400 for borrowers in the class of 2012, up from $18,750 for 2004 graduates.
“You (graduates) need to get a job immediately,” said Johnson, who quickly added that more than 70 percent of students are graduating with loans.
It’s also important not to miss a payment because student loan debt isn’t waived.
“It’s important to get your loans paid off, but you don’t necessarily have to pay them off immediately, so make the minimum payments,” said Johnson.
And once you get that job, Johnson suggests sticking to a budget. So don’t waste money on things you don’t need, scale back on spending and avoid using credit cards if you can’t pay off your bills monthly.
Keeping cars longer and scaling back on eating out are also important to make sure you can take care of that loan debt.
Johnson also has some advice for anyone thinking of taking out a college loan.
“Think of all the alternatives that you can. Make sure you take advantage of scholarships, look at the option of working through school and look at more affordable education.”
Johnson said he is a believer that where you get your education is more important at the beginning of your career than down the road.
“The person who’s going to value your degree the most is your first employer. Employer two, three and four, they care about where you worked last.”
He also advises new graduates to start saving now for retirement, and if you plan on paying off loans quickly, pay off those with the higher interest rate first.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier