Top valley principals met with U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan on Wednesday to talk about ways to generate more teacher empowerment.
It’s called teach to lead, where teachers would have more control of what’s taught in the classroom — and how it’s taught.
“So traditionally, teachers, to make more money, to advance in the profession, literally had to leave the classroom and leave what they love most and did best in order to move up,” Duncan said.
The majority of administrators would have stayed in teaching if they could have made more money. That’s where their hearts were, said Duncan, who added that there needs to be more hybrid teacher/administrator roles.
“Master mentor/teachers, where they teach two or three periods a day and spend two or three periods helping younger teachers and mentoring them,” he said.
It is also important to attract better talent and hold on to it, Duncan said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food