Top valley principals met with U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan on Wednesday to talk about ways to generate more teacher empowerment.
It’s called teach to lead, where teachers would have more control of what’s taught in the classroom — and how it’s taught.
“So traditionally, teachers, to make more money, to advance in the profession, literally had to leave the classroom and leave what they love most and did best in order to move up,” Duncan said.
The majority of administrators would have stayed in teaching if they could have made more money. That’s where their hearts were, said Duncan, who added that there needs to be more hybrid teacher/administrator roles.
“Master mentor/teachers, where they teach two or three periods a day and spend two or three periods helping younger teachers and mentoring them,” he said.
It is also important to attract better talent and hold on to it, Duncan said.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes