PHOENIX — It was noisy at Maryvale park this morning. Students from Atkinson Middle School checked out a new walking path during the first official WalkPHX walk.
The Maryvale enhanced walking path has signs and mileage markers to tell you how far you’ve gone. The path is 0.4 miles. If you walk it two and a half times, you’ve walked a mile.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and Councilman Daniel Valenzuela, were on hand for the opening. Olympic swimming gold medalist Misty Hyman, who is from Phoenix and is a spokeswoman for the FitPHX campaign, was also there. FitPHX is a movement to make Phoenix the healthiest city in the country.
Valenzuela said that there are walking paths all over the city that are similar to the one in Maryvale.
“We have 8 different locations,” said Valenzuela. “They can all be found at www.phoenix.gov/fitphx. All of them have markers around the track that let people know how far they’ve been walking. It really is meant to encourage people to get their exercise in.”
Hyman said that the paths are a great way to keep in shape.
“WalkPHX gives people of all ages an opportunity to come and be healthy,” she said. “You really don’t have to train like an Olympian to be fit and healthy, and be successful in everything else that you do.”
Valenzuela said that you can get your exercise on the paths, even when summer comes and the weather gets hot.
“We want to encourage people to come out in the early morning and the evening to avoid the summer heat, but get the exercise in,” said Valenzuela.
The paths were made possible by a $25,000 grant from Coca-Cola.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development