PHOENIX — It was noisy at Maryvale park this morning. Students from Atkinson Middle School checked out a new walking path during the first official WalkPHX walk.
The Maryvale enhanced walking path has signs and mileage markers to tell you how far you’ve gone. The path is 0.4 miles. If you walk it two and a half times, you’ve walked a mile.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and Councilman Daniel Valenzuela, were on hand for the opening. Olympic swimming gold medalist Misty Hyman, who is from Phoenix and is a spokeswoman for the FitPHX campaign, was also there. FitPHX is a movement to make Phoenix the healthiest city in the country.
Valenzuela said that there are walking paths all over the city that are similar to the one in Maryvale.
“We have 8 different locations,” said Valenzuela. “They can all be found at www.phoenix.gov/fitphx. All of them have markers around the track that let people know how far they’ve been walking. It really is meant to encourage people to get their exercise in.”
Hyman said that the paths are a great way to keep in shape.
“WalkPHX gives people of all ages an opportunity to come and be healthy,” she said. “You really don’t have to train like an Olympian to be fit and healthy, and be successful in everything else that you do.”
Valenzuela said that you can get your exercise on the paths, even when summer comes and the weather gets hot.
“We want to encourage people to come out in the early morning and the evening to avoid the summer heat, but get the exercise in,” said Valenzuela.
The paths were made possible by a $25,000 grant from Coca-Cola.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier