PHOENIX — It was noisy at Maryvale park this morning. Students from Atkinson Middle School checked out a new walking path during the first official WalkPHX walk.
The Maryvale enhanced walking path has signs and mileage markers to tell you how far you’ve gone. The path is 0.4 miles. If you walk it two and a half times, you’ve walked a mile.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and Councilman Daniel Valenzuela, were on hand for the opening. Olympic swimming gold medalist Misty Hyman, who is from Phoenix and is a spokeswoman for the FitPHX campaign, was also there. FitPHX is a movement to make Phoenix the healthiest city in the country.
Valenzuela said that there are walking paths all over the city that are similar to the one in Maryvale.
“We have 8 different locations,” said Valenzuela. “They can all be found at www.phoenix.gov/fitphx. All of them have markers around the track that let people know how far they’ve been walking. It really is meant to encourage people to get their exercise in.”
Hyman said that the paths are a great way to keep in shape.
“WalkPHX gives people of all ages an opportunity to come and be healthy,” she said. “You really don’t have to train like an Olympian to be fit and healthy, and be successful in everything else that you do.”
Valenzuela said that you can get your exercise on the paths, even when summer comes and the weather gets hot.
“We want to encourage people to come out in the early morning and the evening to avoid the summer heat, but get the exercise in,” said Valenzuela.
The paths were made possible by a $25,000 grant from Coca-Cola.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick